- Lifespan Board of Directors
- Patient-Centered Care
- Groundbreaking Research
- Lifespan Community Programs
- Medical Education and Training
- Commitment to Quality and Safety
- Lifespan as an Employer
- Benefits at Lifespan: Total Rewards
- A Fit-Friendly Company
- Diversity and Inclusion
Nursing at Lifespan
- Lifespan Nursing Quick Connect
- Nursing at Rhode Island Hospital
Nursing at The Miriam Hospital
- Nursing Recognition
- Nurse Residency Program
- Our Philosophy of Nursing
- Professional Practice Model
- Our Care Delivery System
- Innovation and Research
- Student and Faculty Mandatory Orientation
- Nursing at Newport Hospital
- Quality and Safety
- Nurse Training
- Psychiatric Nursing
- Job Application Process FAQs
- Help With Applying Online
- Why Volunteer?
- Volunteering: Rights and Responsibilities
- Volunteer Opportunities at Rhode Island Hospital and its Hasbro Children's Hospital
- Volunteer Opportunities at The Miriam Hospital
- Volunteer Opportunities at Newport Hospital
- Papitto Opportunity Connection
- Free Career Training Programs
- Request Information about a Career Training Program
- Summer Youth Employment Program
- Meet the Team
- In the News
- Lifespan Executive Leadership
- Lifespan and The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
- Lifespan Facts & Statistics
- Lifespan Reports
- Research at Lifespan
Lifespan Community Affairs
Community Health Institute
- Community Demonstration Kitchen
- Community Forum Schedule
- Community Health Reports and Resources
- Community Liaisons
- Contact Us
- Courses Offered by the Lifespan Community Training Center
- Health Education for Adults & Professionals
- Health Screenings and Adult Immunization Clinics
- Learning from Our Community
- Lifespan Community Health Institute
- Lifespan Community Training Center
- Our Staff
- Safe Sitter
- Social Needs Screening and Navigation Support
- Summer Sun Safety and More
- What We Do
- Youth Programs
- Corporate Citizenship
- Neighborhood Relations
- Team Lifespan
- Intern Program Changing Lives
- Community Health Institute
- Giving at Lifespan
- Lifespan Purchasing
- Media Inquiries
- Patient Privacy
- Lifespan Health Alliance ACO
Volunteer FAQs for The Miriam Hospital
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Would you like to be one of our volunteers? Volunteers support our hospital staff, enhance the overall patient experience, and provide supplemental assistance in many areas throughout the hospital.
What is the first step in registering as a volunteer?
How long does it take to become a volunteer?
Approximately one month from the time you attend the volunteer information session.
What is the minimum age to volunteer?
14 years of age.
How much does it cost to volunteer?
We ask volunteers 18 or older for a $10 co-pay for the criminal background check completed by the volunteer department.
What is the time commitment?
We ask that you commit to a minimum of two to four hours each week for at least 100 hours, over the course of a year, or two school semesters.
For summer-only volunteers, you must be available once a week for the entire summer, or for a minimum of 8 weeks.
Does volunteering guarantee me a job at the hospital after I complete my volunteer commitment?
Volunteering is an excellent step to learn about careers in health care. It does not guarantee you a paid position. If your priority is to have employment, please go to Lifespan Careers website.
I have a group that wants to volunteer for a day. Is that possible?
We cannot accommodate groups or individuals who would like a one-time volunteer opportunity.
Can I shadow a doctor or TMH employee?
Volunteer services department does not coordinate shadow experiences.
What if I don’t meet the minimum hour requirement?
We will not provide a professional reference if you do not complete the minimum requirement.
What benefits are provided to volunteers?
$5.00 cafeteria meal voucher for every four-hour shift you volunteer
Training for all volunteer positions
Annual volunteer recognition luncheon
Do you have opportunities to complete court-appointed or school required community service hours?
We do not accommodate individuals who need to complete community service hours.