- Meet Our Team
- Surgical Specialties at the Minimally Invasive Urology Institute
- Technology at the Minimally Invasive Urology Institute
- Patient Care
- Education and Training
- MIUI Video Library
- MIUI In The News
- Contact a Specialist at the Minimally Invasive Urology Institute
- Minimally Invasive Urology Institute Webinars
- Make a Gift
Patient Care at the Minimally Invasive Urology Institute
- We offer integrated care from a team of medical specialists, including urologists, surgeons, anesthesiologists, nurses, physical therapists, dietitians, social workers, and others.
- Patients who would benefit from an educational session prior to their procedure are able to participate in a session during the pre-admission testing visit so he or she will know what to expect.
- The program manager, a registered nurse, works in conjunction with the surgeon and staff to guide patients through surgery and recovery. He is available in person and by telephone, from diagnosis to surgery through recovery, to answer questions, help with scheduling, coordinate services, and provide emotional support to patients and their families.
- Our nurse practitioner is an advanced practice registered nurse, experienced in providing care for patients while in the hospital. She is dedicated to helping patients manage their care and works closely with the interdisciplinary team to meet each patient’s individual goals.
- State-of-the-art operating rooms are designed to accommodate specialized operations and multiple treatment options.
- Customized pain management keeps pain well controlled.
- Excellent nursing care is provided by the hospital’s Magnet-designated nursing staff.
- Integrative complementary therapies for patients include massage, guided imagery, progressive muscle relaxation, breathing techniques, meditation, reiki, and light therapy. The interventions are to help support patients manage their signs and symptoms of their illness. These techniques will be provided by professionally trained staff.
- Spacious patient rooms with bathrooms offer patients and their families a comfortable, convenient and relaxing environment during their stay.
- Patients and their families also enjoy free telephone, television, and wireless Internet access, and high quality, flavorful, customized meals.
- Our social workers provide emotional and psychological support to address the concerns of our patients and their families.
- We partner with the Men’s Health Center when needed to restore patients’ sexual function.
- Patients who experience any loss of urinary continence after treatment will participate in pelvic floor rehabilitation with a physical therapist to restore function as fully and quickly as possible.
Men’s Health Center
The Men’s Health Center at The Miriam Hospital is widely recognized for its multidisciplinary evaluations and treatments. The center provides clinical and psychological care for sexual dysfunction. Center staff work to identify the cause of each patient’s dysfunction, which may vary from heart disease to hormone deficiency to psychological issues. Patients who experience any loss of urinary continence after treatment for a urological condition will participate in pelvic floor rehabilitation with a physical therapist to restore function as fully and quickly as possible.
Genitourinary Oncology Multidisciplinary Clinic
The Genitourinary Multidisciplinary Clinic, a program of Lifespan Cancer Institute at Rhode Island, The Miriam and Newport hospitals, provides care for patients who have or are at risk for prostate, bladder, kidney, penile, testicular, and ureter cancers. The only one of its kind in the state, the clinic is entirely dedicated to the care of patients with urologic malignancies.
Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation Services
Pelvic rehabilitation is a highly specialized area of physical therapy that addresses many different disorders relating to the pelvis – its joints, muscles and nerves. Our experienced staff, many of whom are board-certified clinical specialists, evaluate problems related to urination, defecation, sexual dysfunction, pelvic pain and prenatal/postpartum issues.