Cognitive and Neuromuscular Disorders
We provide cognitive and neuro-muscular rehabilitation to patients diagnosed with conditions affecting the nervous system, including traumatic brain injury, stroke, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, dementia and brain tumors.
Patients with these conditions may have deficits in attention, memory, comprehension, organization, problem-solving, ability to follow directions, orientation, safety and judgment, in addition to physical deficits which limit independence in activities of daily living. Patients may also have difficulties with language skills and articulation.
Our occupational therapists provide cognitive and neuromuscular assessment and treatment. Patients learn to regain the function of the arms and hands through exercise, get training for activities of daily living, and learn to use adaptive equipment and techniques.
Our speech therapists provide assessment and treatment for verbal expression, auditory comprehension, swallowing and cognitive linguistic skills.
Disorders that we treat include, but aren’t limited to:
- multiple sclerosis
- spinal cord injury
- head injury/concussion
- ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
- cerebral palsy
- Guillain-Barre syndrome
- muscular dystrophy
- Parkinson’s disease
- balance disorders
- peripheral neuropathy
Physical therapists can help improve or restore the mobility a patient needs to maximize independence. Evaluations focus on movement patterns, strength, flexibility, functional ability, balance, and tone. Our therapists use a variety of approaches, including:
- therapeutic exercise and balance activities
- gait training with use of assistive equipment
- splinting, bracing and the use of specialized therapy equipment
- neurological re-education of movement and activity patterns
- aquatic therapy
- Compensatory techniques and strategies
- Driving assessments administered by the occupational therapy department
- Wheelchair services and seating assessments
- Outpatient Rehabilitation at the Vanderbilt Rehabilitation Center
- Outpatient Rehabilitation Treatment Methods
- Conditions We Treat
- Specialty Programs
- Outpatient Rehabilitation Team
- Contact Us for Outpatient Rehabilitation Services
- Outpatient Rehabilitation Frequently Asked Questions
- Physical Therapy Helps Surfer Get Back on the Board